This one’s pretty fast. Less than half an hour
Were they out of meat at the grocery store? Did you say “Hey, I guess I’ll try those vegan meat-like things!” Here’s how to make those taste good.
Flavorful Vegan Protein:
- 1 package ground vegan protein
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons umami enhancement (if you aren’t vegan, fish sauce! if you are or are trying to be vegan, mushroom powder, liquid aminos, nutritional yeast, etc.)
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (if you have it around)
- dry flavorings you have around such as: cumin, turmeric (about half as much as the cumin), black pepper, paprika, red pepper flakes
- Taco shells, I use corn tortillas
- Leftover rice and beans
- Vegan protein
- Whatever taco fixings you have around such as: salsa, (vegan) sour cream, (vegan) shredded cheese, cilantro, jalapeños, lime (juice) etc.
I have so much respect for vegan chefs. They are magicians. Vegan protein can become quite dry, so you will need to keep adding oil and soy sauce throughout. However! Vegan protein also absorbs any flavor you throw at it, so it’s infinitely customizable and pretty fun to use.
- Coat your pan in olive oil and heat on high until it sizzles when you put a drop of water in the pan. Add vegan protein and break it up into small pieces.
- Drizzle wet flavorings (soy sauce, wet umami enhancement, sesame oil) evenly over all of the vegan protein.
- Sprinkle dry flavorings (including dry umami enhancement if yours is dry) evenly over all of the vegan protein. Mix thoroughly.
- Let the vegan protein sit for a few minutes so that you create brown bits. Drizzle more oil into the pan if it starts to seem dry. You want the vegan protein to be a little shiny when you’re done
- Taste as you go and keep adding flavorings until you’re satisfied.
- When the vegan protein is no longer very soft, remove from heat.
- Heat up taco shells over the stove or in the microwave (30-45 seconds)
- Heat up leftover rice and beans.
- Add rice and beans, flavorful vegan protein, and whatever taco fixings you have around to your tacos.
For the vegans/vegetarians: I hope this compares to the magic you’re already doing with vegan protein! Feel free to share your tips by leaving me a message on the contact page.
For the omnivores: I hope this drastically lessens your disappointment about not finding meat this week.